September 10, 2007


When I was growing up in the Philippines as the black-sheep-son of a baptist missionary there was much talk and debate about the 'divinely inspired Word of God' - belief in the irrefutable authority of the Bible as the foundation of our entire belief system. While I still do not buy into this sovereignty, I do hold to the existence of the miraculous that once in a while comes our way, offering healing and grace.

Such is Terence Blanchard's
A Tale of God's Will (a requiem for katrina). My friend, Thom, who lives part time in New Orleans, has written a most moving review of this new album. These days I am home during the day, caring for my 4 year and 4 month old daughters, Audra, and Aliza. Mid-morning or so, when a bit of boredom sets in, I play this album, and the mood and center of our home is transformed. It has become an indispensable part of our day, a time of prayer you might say - BUY IT NOW!


"moralities, ethics, laws, customs, beliefs, doctrines -
these are of trifling import.
all that matters is that
the miraculous become the norm"

Henry Miller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"God, you spin the whirling planets,
fill the seas and spread the plain,
mold the mountains, fashion blossoms,
call forth sunshine, wind and rain.
We, created in your image,
would a true reflection be
of your justice GRACE and mercy,
and the truth that makes us free!"
Jane Parker Huber, 1978

"'Twas GRACE that taught my heart to fear,
and GRACE my fears relieved;
How precious did that GRACE appear
the hour I first believed."
John Newton, 1779, former slave ship owner!

When I see the beauty of my world, and confess the ugliness of my self-centered actions, I find comfort and rest in the knowledge that life at its best is ALL about GRACE!
Pop Beals

E said...

I do not at all understand the mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.
Annie Lamott

(E)