January 29, 2008

A New Day

When I was as young as college students are today, I listened to comedian Dick Gregory give a speech to our generation - instructing us on the dangers and possibilities that come with the privilege of voting as United States citizens. I will never forget his words that went something like this:

"The problem with voting for the lesser of two evils,
is that you end up with a choice between the evil of the evil."

For most of my life, since 1968, I've witnessed diminishing options in our electoral process, offering us fewer true choices of leadership for the present and future - with candidates of all parties becoming more self serving and devoid of creative ideas.

Yesterday, at American University, a new and ancient vision was sounded. Loudly. With clarity, possibility, and hope.

Watch and listen ...


No comments: