April 2, 2008

Youngest Council Member in Fairmont, West Virginia Endorses Obama

It is a truly rare occurrence that a person can ignite the otherwise tamed resource of our nation’s youth I remember in high school being drawn to President John Kennedy, Senator Robert Kennedy, and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. not just because of what they did or what they stood for, but because they asked that generation what they could do and inspired them to achieve it. This opportunity has come again

As a high school student studying the Kennedys and Dr. King, I recognized my generation lacked that type of leader who could inspire and unite us like our parents’ generation had been inspired and united. When I was watching the telecast of the Democratic National Convention on July 27th, 2004, I discovered the man who could lead my generation into a brighter, more peaceful and prosperous future. As we all know a star was born that evening in Senator Barack Obama. Senator Obama has been a true inspiration to me. He encourages me to dream big and to dedicate myself to the betterment of others. We also all know there is a lot more to Senator Obama than his amazing oratory skills.

On November 7th, 2006, at age 20, I was elected as the youngest council member in the city of Fairmont, West Virginia’s history (Population 19,000). When I decided to run for the council, my critics said I was too young and that I did not have enough experience. I was discounted from the start. What they didn’t know was the citizens of Fairmont were tired of the political bickering and the standstills that prevented us from moving into the future. The great people of Fairmont were ready for change.

Today, the United States of America is ready for change. Some people will say Senator Obama is too young or that he doesn’t know the ins and outs of Washington, but what they are really saying is that they want to cling to the political standoffs that are preventing us from solving the pressing problems that we now face. In my case the criticism at least had some semblance, but Senator Obama’s unique life experiences put him in a place to restore America’s standing in the world and heal our nation from the political battles of past administrations.

As a local elected official, I respect Senator Obama’s hard work as a community organizer assisting people who lost their jobs from plant closings. As President, he will recognize the battles we face not only at the local level, but at the national and international level as well. While it is one thing to have the foresight to see that the Iraq War was wrong, it took a lot of courage to stand up and say so during the days leading up to war. Senator Obama’s opponent only came around to opposing the war when it became politically convenient.

One of the primary reasons I am endorsing Senator Barack Obama for president is what he calls the politics of hope. Like me, he believes in uniting our citizens to work together for the common good. I have witnessed, on a local level, the detriment derived from divisive politics. When I stepped into office, I inherited years and years of schismatic local politics brought on by personal conflicts. This type of politics gives us policy that is not created out of compromise for the common good, but policy that is made in spite of a political rival for the interests of a select few. He understands this because he has lived this from his time on the streets of Chicago to his times in the halls of the Senate.

At the most pivotal election of my lifetime, I pray my state and nation does not pass up on Senator Barack Obama. As President, Senator Obama will be a true blessing to the Mountain State and begin to heal the wounds of our nation and world.

Matthew S. Delligatti
Fairmont City Councilman
Harry S. Truman Scholar ‘07
West Virginia University Senior

No comments: